Meet Chukwuka Ekweani, popularly known as CKay, a talented Nigerian singer-songwriter and record producer signed to Warner Music South Africa and Atlantic Records. CKay was formerly signed to Chocolate City, a member of Warner Music Group independent label services ADA. His international hit single, “Love Nwantiti” was released in 2019 by Chocolate City and debuted at number one on the Billboard Afrobeats chart in 2022. This article will delve into CKay’s biography, career achievements, songs, social media presence, net worth, albums, EPs, and FAQs.
|Full Name||Chukwuka Ekweani|
|Date of Birth||July 16th, 1995|
|Place of Birth||Kaduna, Nigeria|
|Ethnicity||Igbo (from Anambra State)|
|Occupation||Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer|
|Label||Warner Music South Africa (current), Chocolate City (former)|
|Debut||“NA U BIKO” (2017)|
|Notable Works||“Container” (2018), “Love Nwantiti” (2019), “Boyfriend” (2021), “Anya Mmiri” (2022)|
|Collaborations||Davido, Ayra Starr, Rayvanny, Tshego, Gemini Major, Joeboy, Kuami Eugene, and others|
|Awards||The Headies, Soundcity MVP Awards, MTV Africa Music Awards, Nigeria Entertainment Awards, and others|
|Net Worth||$1 million to $3 million|
Chukwuka Ekweani was born on July 16th, 1995, in Kaduna, a state in the north-western region of Nigeria. He is of Igbo descent from Anambra State. CKay’s love for music was inspired by his father, who was a choir conductor at their local church. While growing up, CKay was fascinated by musical instruments, which prompted him to learn the piano from his father. A friend later introduced him to the production software Fruity Loops, which he used to hone his craft. CKay started his music career as a member of a band, made up of him and two other bandmates, before beginning his solo career as CKay.
CKay’s music career began to take shape in 2014 when he relocated to Lagos, where he got discovered. While signed to Loopy Music, he began working with Chocolate City in early 2015. He released a promotional single titled “Bad Musician Bad Producer” on May 6th, 2016, and its instrumental was made available for free downloads across all Nigerian blogs for commercial use for covers, clubs, and airplay. Following the merger of Loopy Music in 2016, he officially joined the Chocolate City artist roster on August 31st, 2016. On October 23rd, 2016, “Bad Musician Bad Producer” cover by Kelly Joe was nominated by TNMA and earned CKay a special recognition. On September 11th, 2017, he released “Who the Fuck Is CKay?” EP through Chocolate City.
In 2018, CKay released “Container,” an Afrobeat record influenced by the South African Gwara Gwara dance style, which earned him substantial airplay in Nigeria. He released the music video on July 6th, 2018, directed and shot by The Myth. On August 30th, 2019, he released his second extended play CKay the First through Chocolate City. The project spawned the hit track “Love Nwantiti,” which became a major record in Nigeria. CKay released a remix of the song featuring Joeboy and Kuami Eugene in 2020, and it went viral on TikTok. It became an international hit, charting across Europe, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. The song also reached number 23 in the UK and earned him his first entry on the US Billboard Hot 100.
CKay has collaborated with other artists such as Davido, Ayra Starr, Rayvanny, Tshego, Gemini Major, Joeboy, Kuami Eugene, ElGrande Toto, Franglish, Frizzo, and De La Ghetto. On February 11th, 2021, he released his third EP, “Boyfriend,” through Warner Music South Africa. On May 4th, 2021, CKay tweeted, “I’m NOT signed to Chocolate City. I’m signed to Warner Music South Africa.” On July 28th, 2021, he received a Silver Creator Award from YouTube, at 100k subscribers.
CKay’s net worth is estimated to be between 1 million dollars to 3 million dollars. With his talent, hard work, and dedication, he has become one of the most successful young artists in Nigeria’s music industry.
Here is a list of CKay’s songs and release year:
- Anya Mmiri (2022) – A new release by CKay that showcases his unique blend of Afrobeat and contemporary R&B.
- Love Nwantiti (2022) – A hit song that went viral on social media and topped several charts in Nigeria and beyond.
- Lose You (2022) – A soulful track that reflects on heartbreak and the aftermath of a failed relationship.
- Samson & Delilah (2022) – A love song that draws inspiration from the biblical story of Samson and Delilah.
- Soja (2022) – A high-energy track that features CKay’s signature production style and catchy lyrics.
- By Now (2022) – A mid-tempo love song that showcases CKay’s vocal range and songwriting abilities.
- You Cheated, I Cheated Too (2022) – A song that explores the theme of infidelity and its consequences.
- Leave Me Alone (2022) – A moody track that addresses the pressures of fame and success.
- Come Close (2022) – A romantic ballad that expresses CKay’s feelings of love and affection towards his partner.
- NA U BIKO (2017) – A debut single that introduced CKay to the Nigerian music scene.
- CONTAINER (2018) – A breakout hit that earned CKay critical acclaim and commercial success.
- Mmadu (2022) – An upbeat track that celebrates life and good vibes.
- You (2022) – A love song that expresses CKay’s devotion and commitment to his partner.
- Watawi (2022) – A catchy track that blends elements of Afrobeat, pop, and dancehall music.
- Maria (2022) – A song that reflects on CKay’s childhood memories and experiences.
- By Your Side (2021) – A collaboration with Nigerian superstar Davido that showcases CKay’s production skills and songwriting abilities.
- Emiliana (2021) – A laid-back track that features CKay’s smooth vocals and relaxed vibe.
- Mezebu (2021) – A party anthem that encourages listeners to let loose and have fun.
- Skoin Skoin (2021) – A danceable track that fuses elements of Afrobeat and Amapiano music.
- Isabella (2021) – A love song that expresses CKay’s admiration and affection towards a special woman.
- Jeje de Whine (2021) – A groovy track that encourages listeners to dance and let go of their worries.
- Show My Side (2021) – A song that reflects on CKay’s journey in the music industry and his determination to succeed.
- Kiss Me Like You Miss Me (2021) – A catchy track that celebrates love and romance.
- Felony (2020) – A breakout hit that propelled CKay to new heights of fame and success.
- Love Nwantiti (Spanish Remix) (2020) – A remix of the original Love Nwantiti song that features Spanish lyrics and a Latin-inspired beat.
- Love Nwantiti (Remix) (2020) – A remix of the original Love Nwantiti song that features collaborations with several popular African artists.
- Gangsta (Darkoo Cover) (2019) – A cover of the popular Darkoo song that showcases CKay’s versatility as an artist.
- Love Nwantinti (2019) – The original version of the Love Nwantiti song that became a viral sensation.
- Like To Party (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is a fun and upbeat track that encourages listeners to let loose and have a good time. It gained popularity for its catchy hook and danceable beat.
- Kalakuta (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is an Afrobeat track that pays homage to the legendary Nigerian musician Fela Kuti and his Kalakuta Republic. The song features CKay’s unique blend of African and Western music influences.
- Beeni (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is a mid-tempo track that showcases CKay’s versatility as an artist alongside Barry Jhay. It features a blend of Afrobeat, R&B, and pop elements.
- Ski Ski (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is a hip-hop track that features CKay’s rap skills. It features a catchy hook and a hard-hitting beat.
- Dtf (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is a sultry R&B track that features CKay’s smooth vocals. It is a song about desire and attraction.
- Oliver Khan (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is a rap track that showcases CKay’s lyrical abilities. The song is named after the former German footballer Oliver Kahn.
- Way (2019): This song was released in 2019 and it is a mid-tempo track that features CKay’s unique blend of Afrobeat and pop influences. It features a catchy hook and a danceable beat.
Ckay Albums & EP
- Sad Romance
- Boyfriend EP
- Ckay The First EP
- Who The F*ck Is CKay? EP
Ckay Awards and Nominations
|The Headies||2020||Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|The Beatz Awards||2020||Afro-Pop Producer of The Year||Won|
|The Beatz Awards||2020||Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|The Future Awards Africa||2020||The Future Awards Prize For Music||Nominated|
|The Beatz Awards||2019||Afro-Pop Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||2019||Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|The Headies||2018||Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|City People Music Awards||2018||Producer of The Year||Won|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||2018||Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|The Headies||2017||Producer of The Year||Nominated|
|City People Music Awards||2017||Best New Act||Nominated|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||2017||Best New Act||Nominated|
Ckay Social Media Handles
CKay, the rising Nigerian music star, has a strong social media presence across various platforms. Fans can easily connect with him and stay updated on his latest music releases, collaborations, and performances.
On Twitter, CKay has over 361,000 followers, where he regularly posts about his music and personal life. He engages with his fans through tweets, retweets, and replies, providing a glimpse into his creative process and daily routine. His handle, @ckay_yo, is the perfect place to catch up on his latest updates and get a glimpse into his world.
Instagram is another platform where CKay has a strong following of over 1.6 million fans. He posts pictures and videos showcasing his life and music, which give his fans a behind-the-scenes look at his creative process. His Instagram handle, @ckay_yo, is the perfect place to see CKay’s stylish fashion choices, his studio sessions, and his performances.
On YouTube, CKay has over 3.71 million subscribers and over 885 million views across his videos with Love Nwantiti getting over 300,000 daily views on Youtube making it to rank number one among all his Songs videos. His channel features his music videos, lyric videos, and behind-the-scenes footage from his concerts and performances. His fans can keep up with his latest releases and watch his music videos on his channel.
Finally, CKay is also active on TikTok, where he has over 2.5 million followers. He uses the platform to share short clips of his music and engaging content that keeps his fans entertained.